Shuten Dojo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shuten Dojo

Pokemon D/P/Pt Wifi Dojo.

+4
Sasami
Prostiboots
Ninja
Shine
8 posters

UU/NU Discussion

Sasami
    Sasami
    Master Sensei/Admin
    Master Sensei/Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 3133
    Yen : 121200
    User's Pokemon : UU/NU Discussion - Page 2 Dpmfa368
    Registration date : 2008-05-08

UU/NU Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: UU/NU Discussion

Post by Sasami Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:59 am

UU/NU Discussion - Page 2 Dpmfa359

Super Luck Absol

(A gimmick set that actually works!)

Absol @ Scope Lens
    -Swords Dance
    -Night Slash
    -Psycho Cut
    -Stone Edge

Super Luck, Jolly/Admant
    252 Attack/252 Speed

This guy amuses me so much. He's more effective late-game when you've hopefully taken out faster Pokemon (or paralyzed them). Destroy your opponent's team with nearly constant critical hits thanks to his ability, item, and the fact that all three moves have high critical hit ratios. If you want him to have more survivability and don't mind sacrificing speed then you could try putting those EVs into HP instead. Swords Dance while you can.

One reason that this set works so well is that people usually assume you're running Sucker Punch. Because of that, they'll take the turn to switch/stat up/recover health while you set up. If you use him in OU then you're often even better off since he's not used much and the average battler doesn't quite know what he's capable of.

If you can manage to Baton Pass him a speed boost then almost nothing can survive critical hits on his moves.

Other move options: X-Scissor can be used in some cases for type coverage but you don't get the added bonus of a high critical hit ratio like his other moves. Sucker Punch can overcome his mediocre speed but it's hard to justify replacing Night Slash. This means you'll want to get rid of one of his other attacks and will end up with less coverage overall. It's definitely an option to consider, though. Pursuit is a lot of fun since even Pokemon who resist dark won't enjoy taking a STAB critical hit Pursuit on the switch.

Counters to this set: Pokemon with Battle Armor or Shell Armor. Those abilities mean he won't be getting any critical hits at all which means you're screwed in a lot of cases. Drapion is probably the best choice out of those since he has good defense and Absol can't score any super-effective hits. Absol also dies easily to revenge killers...pretty much anything with a super-effective move will defeat him. This is why it's important to either get him a speed boost or take these fast Pokemon out before attempting to sweep.

Why use this over standard Swords Dance Absol? Swords Dance Absol is a lot more reliable, I'll admit. But this set does have some advantages. Critical hits ignore defense boosts which means that the opponent can't stall you. In fact, walls have a tough time dealing with him. Another advantage is that you'll be doing more damage overall (although technically, a Swords Dance Absol could be getting critical hits too). Plus, it's funny as hell to use. Watch as your opponents' smirks at Focus Energy turn to frowns after being swept because of ten critical hits in a row.

Last edited by Sasami on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male
    Number of posts : 1642
    Yen : 19310
    User's Pokemon : UU/NU Discussion - Page 2 Dpmfa232
    Registration date : 2008-05-09

Post by Shine Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:29 am

Sasami wrote:UU/NU Discussion - Page 2 Dpmfa359

Super Luck Absol

Why use this over Swords Dance Absol? Swords Dance Absol is a lot more reliable, I'll admit. But this set does have some advantages. Critical hits ignore defense boosts which means that the opponent can't stall you. In fact, walls have a tough time dealing with him. Another advantage is that you'll be doing more damage overall (although technically, a Swords Dance Absol could be getting critical hits too). Plus, it's funny as hell to use. Watch as your opponents' smirks at Focus Energy turn to frowns after being swept because of ten critical hits in a row.

Because I often like to use Pokemon with smaller stats or Pokemon that stereotypically have a CHANCE at being good but always seem to come up short, I pretty much make it my policy to take risks - it's simply how I handle the UU/NU environment, especially with how much I love to take those Pokemon up into the OU/BL and Uber environments: high-risk, high-reward. Swords Dance Absol is more reliable because critical hits are a matter of chance, whereas Swords Dance Atk boosts keep your Atk consistently high. However, because of this, lots of people will try to wall you, and walls PHAIL against critical attacks, which is obviously where this build shines brightest. Even foes that boost their stats (CurseLax COUGH COUGH) to avoid taking more damage will have difficulties with critical hits, and by the time they're happy with their pumped stats, they've already taken enough damage that it doesn't matter anymore.
    SUPER LUCK ABSOL GETS MY STAMP OF APPROVAL *stamp* Razz
    Zenith
    Zenith
    Strategy Sensei/Chatbox Moderator

Male
    Number of posts : 2252
    Yen : 89500
    User's Pokemon : UU/NU Discussion - Page 2 Dpmfa282

Post by Zenith Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:02 pm

Lulz, I'm postin' a set!

UU/NU Discussion - Page 2 369

Relicanth =D @Leftovers
    -Yawn
    -Stealth Rock
    -Head Smash/Double Edge
    -Toxic

Rock Head, Impish
    252 HP, 6 Atk, 252 Sp. Def

It's a Relicanth set of my original design! I call it Cripplecanth, because people love stupid names! Basically, Relicanth has a HUEG amount of Defense, so I was like, "he'd make a kickass wall!" So, I began working on him. It's pretty basic; set up Stealth Rock, Yawn or Toxic (pick your poison...no pun intended) and RAPE with Head Smash/Double Edge.

I prefer Head Smash because of STAB, but Double Edge is also an option. Also, I put more EVs in Sp. Def so he could take several Special hits as well.

Yay Relicanth!

Other Options: You might want to dump some EVs into Attack and Defense for Sp. Def; but I wouldn't personally recommend it. Substitute is a fair choice to switch with Toxic, Yawn, or Stealth Rock. Waterfall can replace Head Smash if you want to go with Swift Swim.

Last edited by Lord Ryu on Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tobi
    Tobi
    Ubers Sensei
    Ubers Sensei

Male
    Number of posts : 4518
    Yen : 37300
    User's Pokemon : UU/NU Discussion - Page 2 Dpmfsa315

Post by Tobi Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:26 pm

FUCK YA, SEAKING

UU/NU Discussion - Page 2 FUCKYEAHSEAKINGsoldiersig

Ok, now, someone make this other then me. Really, this would be the most kickass pokemon ever.

Seaking @ Adamant w/ choice band

Moves-

Waterfall
    Megahorn
    Return/Double-edge
    Hyrdo pump/peck

Choice Band takes advantage of Seaking’s (considerably) better attacking stat. Waterfall being physical is an improvement, however it came at the expense of losing physical Hidden Power. Megahorn is a nice, unique move on a Water-type that gives it at least a hint of worth. Normal moves complement Water very well for type coverage, and while using recoil moves on a Choice Bander is usually not a good idea, if you’re using Seaking you have already established your lack of rationality, so you might as well go for the extra oomph. Hydro Pump and Peck are both filler moves which you are unlikely to ever use. Hydro Pump can "hurt" Skarmory and the like, while Peck's only use is killing Shedinja.

Either ability is fine here. Swift Swim lets you take advantage of any lingering turns of Rain Dance, while Water Veil lets you switch into Will-O-Wisp and stops Seaking being crippled when switching into Flamethrower and such, if the secondary effect kicks in.

Thank you smogon!
    Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male

Post by Shine Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:19 pm

Tobi wrote:
    Seaking @ Adamant w/ choice band

eved in attack and speed

Moves-

Waterfall
    Megahorn
    Return/Double-edge
    Hyrdo pump/peck

By the way, Tobi, you double-posted. Razz

Seaking @Life Orb/Wide Lens
    -Aqua Tail
    -Mega Horn
    -Rain Dance/Agility
    -Blizzard/Ice Beam
    Swift Swim, Naughty
    252 Atk, 146 Sp.Atk, 112 Spd

With a Pokemon like Seaking, I take the policy of high-risk, high-reward, as I mentioned in my reply to Sami's Absol. As such, I think this may be a better set up for Seaking.

If you want more UMPH in your attacks, I'd say it's worth it to go Aqua Tail over Waterfall, personally.
    Mega Horn is a good choice, of course... Kinda essential against Grass types that'll try to sweep you (unless you'd rather run Poison Jab), and good against all the Psychic and Dark types that like to bring along T-bolt and Grass Knot and such.
    Rain Dance or Agility, take your pick... Rain Dance cancels out whatever weather effect the opponent may be benefiting from, and pumps up Aqua Tail, not to mention doubles your speed to 400 with this EV spread, which is enough to outrun most Pokemon not benefiting from stat boosts or Rain Dance without many problems. Agility is really for the sake of using Waterveil if you so wish, and you could continue to pump up your Spd beyond double, but I'd prefer Rain Dance with Swift Swim, personally.
    Blizzard and Ice Beam help to cover that fearsome Skarmory Tobi mentioned... Not very well, of course, but it's better than nothing. There's max Atk EVs, enough Spd to reach 400 with Rain Dance or Agility, and the rest was thrust into Sp.Atk. Hydro Pump WOULD be a better option with STAB and more accuracy than Blizzard, but against the aforementioned Skarmory I believe Blizzard or Ice Beam would be more efficient, not to mention Ice attacks cover those ever present Dragons. If you're REALLY terrified of Skarmory or something, and were insistent on using Seaking to defeat it, you COULD run Natural Gift with a Watmel Berry (Fire 80) or a Belue Berry (Electric 80) in place of Blizzard/Ice Beam (Depending on whether you picked Rain Dance or Agility), in which case you can invest more EVs into Spd or HP. Belue Berry could also help against other Water types.

Life Orb pumps up your attacks, Wide Lens helps reduce risk due to low accuracy. Any ideas?
    Tobi
    Tobi
    Ubers Sensei
    Ubers Sensei

Male

Post by Tobi Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:25 pm

Sorry, i don't know how i did it, and i've got no clue how to delete it eiather.

I'm going with all speed, coz seakings not a mixed guy, he should just be an attacker.
    Zenith
    Zenith

Male

Post by Zenith Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:39 pm

Pakry, this thread is for Pokemon sets you made yourself >.<
    Tobi
    Tobi
    Ubers Sensei
    Ubers Sensei

Male

Post by Tobi Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:46 pm

Oh? Fine then, i'll say i made it, then found the same one on Smoggon. Great minds think alike.
    Zenith
    Zenith

Male

Post by Zenith Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:52 pm

Oh? Fine then, i'll say i made it, then found the same one on Smoggon. Great minds think alike.

But now because of that post your excuse is void.
    KOkingpin
    KOkingpin

Male
    Number of posts : 224
    Yen : 12000
    Registration date : 2008-05-10

Post by KOkingpin Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:40 pm

This is going to be a Triple Cat Post

UU/NU Discussion - Page 2 Delcatty

I find myself Loving this Pokemon more and more.

Delcatty @ Leftovers
    Jolly Nature / Ability - Normalize
    EVs - 252 HP/252 Spe/4 Def

Move 1 - Thunder Wave
    Move 2 - Sing
    Move 3 - Wish
    Move 4 - Baton Pass

She is a Double Status Wish Passer. First you Sing that Pesky Pokemon that could be trouble, then you Wish, and Baton Pass to a pokemon that got hurt a bit earlier in battle or someone how would be able to take to much of a hit on a switch. Then save Decatty for later against a Ground type when you surprise them with a Normalized TWave and they basically shit their pants from being paralyzed by an electric type move. The only bad thing is that now Ghost basically Counter everything that this pokemon can do (other than sing i think because it is a sound Based move)

She is kinda like the Cleric of the team.

My personal Favorite with a new kick that no one really sees coming.

UU/NU Discussion - Page 2 Anime053

Persian @ life orb
    Timid Nature / Ability Technician
    EVs - 4 HP/252 SpAtk/ 252 Spe

Move 1 - Hypnosis
    Move 2 - Nasty Plot
    Move 3 - Hidden Power Fire
    Move 4 - Swift

I actually showed this one off to smogon and they Posted it cept they changed HP Fire for Water Pulse for type coverage. Anyway this Persian is a tricky lil fella. First to Hypnosis someone like a normal Persian would, Then you buff up on good ol Skarmory/Forretress as he realizes what trouble he is in. But then they think "its a Persian, What can he do?" thats when you OHKO Forry and 2HKO/Possible OHKO Skarm. And Swift is no slouch attack either being 135 Base DMG with Persian's Technician Ability. and with Great Speed she has massive sweeping potential in UU. With one Nasty Plot she has 452 Sp Atk. and 360 Speed. Ouch UU teams.

And now, Finally, the last Kitty.
    UU/NU Discussion - Page 2 1107517999_a9a8264a72

Fatty Fatty 2x4 cant get through th...... Fake out! shut up! Hit and Run Purugly

Purugly @ Life Orb
    Jolly Nature / Ability - Think Fat
    EVs - 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

Move 1 - Fake Out
    Move 2 - Slash
    Move 3 - Sucker Punch
    Move 4 - U-Turn

its a little slower than Persian for this but a little stronger as well. Give it a Life orb and it can rack up some damage. Give a Wish Passer and it can rack up even more! Sucker Punch for those Speedy Psychics with Focus Blast to OHKO them. Slash for a good STAB move with high crit ratio.
    Prostiboots
    Prostiboots
    Admin
    Admin

Male
    Number of posts : 3306
    Yen : 1000000
    User's Pokemon : UU/NU Discussion - Page 2 Dpmfa280

Post by Prostiboots Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:52 pm

UU/NU Discussion - Page 2 022

Mr Mime @ Muscle Band/Liechi Berry
    Adamant - Filter
    202 Attack, 106 Defence, 202 Speed

Substitute
    Focus Punch/Brick Break/Drain Punch
    Ice Punch/Payback
    Tickle

First off, let me state that this is best used with Stealth Rock/Spikes support, and is only viable in UU.

A physical attacker/possible tank of a Mr Mime, with Tickle to add survivability AND attack, as well as forcing switches to beat opponents, filter to reduce super effectives, and his high SpDef! Not only is it surprising, it's potentially devastating if used correctly.

Start by switching in on something Mr Mime's SpDef can shut down, and tickle on the switch. Another switch will most likely happen, so Sub then. More tickling and attacking when it applies.

Brick Break is nice to break Reflect and Light Screen, which are popular in UU, while Drain Punch can heal the HP you used to sub, and Focus Punch is duh. Payback offers better coverage against opposing Ghosts and Psychics while Ice Punch will get flyers and grassers mainly, as well as more base power. You have to pick what worries you more, in the end.

The sad thing about this set is that Mr Mime gets NO physical stab, none at all.
    Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male

Post by Shine Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:09 pm

Tobi wrote:Sorry, i don't know how i did it, and i've got no clue how to delete it eiather.

I'm going with all speed, coz seakings not a mixed guy, he should just be an attacker.
    I'm not sure how you can justify that, really, because your post actually included Hydro Pump as a means to cover Skarmory. I simply improved it by my own style.

KOTheManWithTheGoldenGun wrote:Delcatty @ Leftovers
    Jolly Nature / Ability - Normalize
    EVs - 252 HP/252 Spe/4 Def

Move 1 - Thunder Wave
    Move 2 - Sing
    Move 3 - Wish
    Move 4 - Baton Pass

I can't fully appreciate the use of Sing or Baton Pass. Sing is too inaccurate, even for me, and you don't need BP to pass on Wish. If you want emphasis on it being a Cleric, you may as well throw on Heal Bell. My personal favorite option, though, would be to Give it T-Wave, Substitute, Wish, and Baton Pass. You can cripple sweepers with T-Wave (I'm pretty sure that T-Wave still hits Ghosts because it's not a damaging attack), you can heal your other Pokemon with Wish, and you can BP Subs, all the while keeping your HP up with Leftovers as Parahax kicks in.

KOTheManWithTheGoldenGun wrote:Persian @ life orb
    Timid Nature / Ability Technician
    EVs - 4 HP/252 SpAtk/ 252 Spe

Move 1 - Hypnosis
    Move 2 - Nasty Plot
    Move 3 - Hidden Power Fire
    Move 4 - Swift

I've always loved Persian, but I've never actually raised one. The thing I love most about Persian, I think, is its versatility, and the fact that it can put out any Pokemon pretty easily with Hypnosis for at least one free turn of setup. A Special Persian definitely calls for Nasty Plot, and I'm happy to see you're actually running STAB with Swift, not to mention it gets that Technician boost. Double STAB for the win, amirite? Wink
    Stick with HP Fire. Otherwise you'll get walled by Steel types. Skarmory like to setup Spikes and crap when they come out, so it gives you a good chance to Nasty Plot more. Nice.

KOTheManWithTheGoldenGun wrote:Purugly @ Life Orb
    Jolly Nature / Ability - Think Fat
    EVs - 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

Move 1 - Fake Out
    Move 2 - Slash
    Move 3 - Sucker Punch
    Move 4 - U-Turn

I hate Purugly. I just REALLY do. BUT ANYWAY... This looks pretty much like a strange hit 'n run Persian rip. Less Spd and a little more damage, as you said. Fake Out and U-Turn I like, but Sucker Punch and Slash may be unnecessary. Purugly's PRETTY damn speedy. Hell, it outruns Gengar. That's good enough for me. Because it's so speedy, I would personally run Return and Taunt over Slash and Sucker Punch. Taunt keeps things from boosting stats and crippling you, and Return gets STAB and is generally better than Slash if you ask me.

Sagechild wrote:
    Adamant - Filter

Substitute
    Ice Punch/Payback
    Tickle

It makes sense that this would work best with Stealth Rock or Spikes up. It discourages the target from switching, and drives them up a wall when Tickle kills their stats. I think I'd go with the Sub-Punch build myself because Mr. Mime's HP, even with Filter, is just too pathetic to bother keeping up with Drain Punch. You'll just have to hope that they try and run Sleep Powder or something and give you a free Sub. I like it because it's unique. Very Happy

On a side note, I'm very happy to see that the UU/NU Discussion Thread has picked up speed. ^__^
    Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male

Post by Shine Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:30 pm

POKEMON OF THE DAY

UU/NU Discussion - Page 2 Tropius

Tropius @Heat Rock
    -Air Slash
    -Solarbeam
    -Sunny Day
    -Hidden Power (Fire)
    Chlorophyll, Modest
    252 Sp.Atk, 252 Spd, 6 HP

I'm sorry to say that this is your standard Sunny Beamer. Of course, you could go with a physical build, I s'pose.

Tropius @Leftovers
    -Fly
    -Leaf Blade
    -Sunny Day
    -Leech Seed
    Chlorophyll, Adamant
    252 Atk, 252 Spd, 6 HP

That's a bit more creative. Set up Leech Seed, set up Sunny Day, and start sweeping. I go with Fly over Aerial Ace because it gives you another turn of Leech Seed and Leftovers recovery, not to mention you might need that extra Leech Seed damage considering Tropius' Atk stat when not boosted by, say, Swords Dance. I would have gone with SD over Leech Seed, but Leech Seed adds some much needed longevity. Swords Dance just adds another turn of setup during which the enemy could kill you. BP some stats, please. I might try this build.
    Sasami
    Sasami
    Master Sensei/Admin
    Master Sensei/Admin

Female

Post by Sasami Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:37 pm

TROPIUS!!!! <3 <3

This is the Tropius set I've had the most success with (and I've tried a lot of them) :

UU/NU Discussion - Page 2 Tropius

Sunny Day Sweeper Tropius

Tropius is one of my favorite Pokemon, so I was determined to find a way to use him competitively. Sunny Beamer sets were out as were defensive ones...he's just out-classed by other Pokemon. I think I've found his niche and it's swept teams.

Tropius @ Life Orb
    -Swords Dance
    -Leaf Blade
    -Earthquake
    -Roost

Chlorophyll, Adamant
    46 HP/252 Atk/212 Spe

This Tropius should be used on a Sunny Day team where other Pokemon set up Sunny Day first. I would recommend sticking to UU (Sunny Day teams don't do as well in standard anyway) but it might work decently in OU. I've used this set on PBR with great success and there are obviously a lot of OU teams there Smile.

The set is simple, Swords Dance and then sweep. Leaf Blade should be the main attack, only switching to Earthquake when Pokemon resist it. Roost keeps him alive, makes up for Life Orb recoil, and gets rid of most of his weaknesses for the turn.

Other move options: Aerial Ace can be used over Earthquake and would probably give you better type coverage. Using Aerial Ace, though, basically makes him a worse Leafeon (besides speed). I always feel that we should try to use the moves that make a Pokemon unique from similar ones and Earthquake is a good example.

Counters to this set: Most physical walls in OU will counter Tropius, especially the flying/levitating steels and Pokemon like Cresselia who have access to Ice Beam. Weezing is always a good choice and can cripple Tropius with a burn. Tyranitar, Abomasnow, and Hippowdon can change the weather to end his sweep. Weavile and Mamoswine can OHKO with Ice Shard. In UU, Altaria can use it's ground immunity and double resistance to grass to switch in easily and defeat Tropius with Flamethrower or Fire Blast (which will be powered up in the sun). Defensive Noctowls can take anything Tropius throws at them and KO with STAB flying moves or put it to sleep. Pure grass types can take him on easily if he doesn't have Aerial Ace. If he doesn't have the aforementioned move, Vespiquen makes another good counter if she has Aerial Ace herself.
    Ninja
    Ninja
    UU Sensei/Moderator
    UU Sensei/Moderator

Male
    Number of posts : 3030
    Yen : 41800
    User's Pokemon : UU/NU Discussion - Page 2 Dpmfa321

Post by Ninja Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:58 pm

I really would probably go with Sami's physical tropius set, not because Sami made it, but because Fly, being a two-turn move, gives your opponent a free turn to switch to something that can take it better, and doing so, gets rid of your leech seed.

I would also try the BP'ing stat boosts and replace Swords Dance with Aerial Ace, however. Tropius learns Synthesis, right? I really don't see why you would put Roost over it if you're using a Sunny Day team, Sami =P

Unless, of course, you were seriously afraid of your Sunny Day being screwed over.
    Sasami
    Sasami
    Master Sensei/Admin
    Master Sensei/Admin

Female

Post by Sasami Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:03 am

Ninja wrote:I really would probably go with Sami's physical tropius set, not because Sami made it, but because Fly, being a two-turn move, gives your opponent a free turn to switch to something that can take it better, and doing so, gets rid of your leech seed.

I would also try the BP'ing stat boosts and replace Swords Dance with Aerial Ace, however. Tropius learns Synthesis, right? I really don't see why you would put Roost over it if you're using a Sunny Day team, Sami =P

Unless, of course, you were seriously afraid of your Sunny Day being screwed over.

Maybe you should read my analysis completely ^_^.

"Roost keeps him alive, makes up for Life Orb recoil, and gets rid of most of his weaknesses for the turn."

It makes it so he doesn't automatically die to ice moves and gets rid of his rock weakness completely/gives him a resistance to electric. So if you think a move like that is coming and can't OHKO the opponent, Roost to heal and take a hit that would normally kill you =).

It's situational, yeah, but it can save you sometimes (especially against more tank-ish Pokemon who you can't OHKO but who have an ice move or something).

It's more reliable, anyways, since you don't need Sunny Day up for it to be effective (like you said). It would suck to use Synthesis only to have someone switch in Tyranitar or something like that.

I suppose Synthesis would work better in UU so it's definitely worth a try. I'm just a careful battler and like to have more reliable moves over what could be better (that's why you'll never really see me use Fire Blast over Flamethrower).

Since my Sunny Day team is used in PBR, I'm fighting in all tiers. I haven't tried just using it in UU (I'd have to replace Moltres anyways) but maybe I'll see how effective Synthesis is.
    KOkingpin
    KOkingpin

Male
    Number of posts : 224
    Yen : 12000
    Registration date : 2008-05-10

Post by KOkingpin Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:17 am

UU/NU Discussion - Page 2 Lopunny

This is an Annoyer + Support Lopunny. (an amazing Wobbuffet Counter i found out today) I use this a lot. One of my Favorite Leads in UU.

Lopunny @ Black Sludge
    Jolly Nature / Ability - Cute Charm
    EVs - 252HP/100Spe/158SpDef

-Healing Wish (for when your Sweeper with Life orb is down on HP)
    -Protect
    -Switcheroo
    -Toxic

Anyone who comes in on the Set better be prepared to be annoyed.
    Prostiboots
    Prostiboots
    Admin
    Admin

Male

Post by Prostiboots Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:43 pm

Sagechild wrote:UU/NU Discussion - Page 2 022

Adamant - Filter

Substitute
    Ice Punch/Payback
    Tickle

First off, let me state that this is best used with Stealth Rock/Spikes support, and is only viable in UU.

A physical attacker/possible tank of a Mr Mime, with Tickle to add survivability AND attack, as well as forcing switches to beat opponents, filter to reduce super effectives, and his high SpDef! Not only is it surprising, it's potentially devastating if used correctly.

Start by switching in on something Mr Mime's SpDef can shut down, and tickle on the switch. Another switch will most likely happen, so Sub then. More tickling and attacking when it applies.

Brick Break is nice to break Reflect and Light Screen, which are popular in UU, while Drain Punch can heal the HP you used to sub, and Focus Punch is duh. Payback offers better coverage against opposing Ghosts and Psychics while Ice Punch will get flyers and grassers mainly, as well as more base power. You have to pick what worries you more, in the end.

The sad thing about this set is that Mr Mime gets NO physical stab, none at all.

Okay, someone who's better at UU try this out.

EPIC PHAIL FOR ME. DX
    Ninja
    Ninja
    UU Sensei/Moderator
    UU Sensei/Moderator

Male
    Number of posts : 3030
    Yen : 41800
    User's Pokemon : UU/NU Discussion - Page 2 Dpmfa321

Post by Ninja Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:29 pm

UU/NU Discussion - Page 2 020-3

Physical Sweeper Raticate
    Jolly Nature
    Guts Ability
    @ Flame Orb
    -Facade
    -Flame Wheel
    -Sucker Punch/Pursuit
    -Focus Energy/Protect

Facade and guts abuse set on Raticate, a decently fast pokemon for UU. He can even outrun Gengar in OU, who tends to go for maxed out Special Attack rather than Max Speed. Flame Wheel is for coverage of Steel Types, who resist Facade and the Dark move of your choice. I would go with Sucker Punch over Pursuit and have Focus Energy on him, and the idea is to switch in to something that you're going to scare away (like a pokemon with ghost moves, not Gengar because they typically have Focus Blast) and use Focus Energy when they switch. Now you have a boosted crit rate, a boosted attack, and a very deadly Raticate. However, this does adhere a little to Shine's "high risk, high reward" belief in that your opponent might not switch out and they stay in to hurt you. You should be fairly good at prediction before trying that set. You can always go with the Protect on your first turn to get burned without taking any possible side damage if you aren't so hot at predicting.
    Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male

Post by Shine Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:16 pm

Ninja wrote:Physical Sweeper Raticate
    Jolly Nature
    Guts Ability
    @ Flame Orb
    -Facade
    -Flame Wheel
    -Sucker Punch/Pursuit
    -Focus Energy/Protect

By now, I'm pretty sure that anyone can pretty quickly assume that a Guts or Quick Feet Pokemon is gonna Protect to give their Orb a chance to kick in before sweeping. Protect is a good standard because it's safe, but I always kick myself when I end up Protecting against a switch or a buff. As such, I think this is a pretty nifty idea, potentially replacing Protect with another move. However... I wouldn't go with Focus Energy myself... It's really only useful on something that's already BASED on critical hits, like anything with Sniper or Super Luck, or even something that's already using attacks with a high-critical hit ratio.

If you've gotta replace Protect, I'd swap it for Swords Dance, Taunt, T-Wave, or even Roar. The combo of Swords Dance AND Guts pumps up your Atk to levels that could potentially sweep whatever wall they may switch in to deal with you. Taunt fucks up so many builds it's scary. T-Wave cripples faster Pokemon they switch in to deal with you as well, and could give you more lasting power. Finally, Roar forces something out that they probably don't want on the field with a Guts Raticate, not to mention that if the target buffed with a Calm Mind or something, bitch just got PHazed. Wink

On a final note, I'd go with U-Turn over Sucker Punch. It covers more types, and you're quick enough that you could outrun a lot of things that might try to kill you, so you could activate the Orb, and retreat to fight later on. That kind of Raticate could be a good opener - cripple something, Orb triggers, and U-Turn out of there to something that could handle the situation better. In the end, I'd probably go with Facade (duh), Flame Wheel (duh), U-Turn, and T-Wave myself, though I DO need a good PHazer... XD;;

In fact, I think I may do that. =)
    Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male

Post by Shine Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:16 pm

POKEMON OF THE DAY

UU/NU Discussion - Page 2 Thquagsire

Quagsire @Leftovers
    -Curse
    -Protect
    -Waterfall
    -Earthquake
    Water Absorb, Adamant
    212 HP, 86 Atk, 212 Def

This Quagsire's build is probably pretty standard. He starts with a defensive EV spread so he can survive the first couple turns easy enough while he pumps up with Curse and stalls with Protect, gaining HP from Leftovers the whole time. After a couple pumps he's ready to sweep. He doesn't have to wait TOO long considering that both his attacks are STAB'd and cover a good number of types.
    He's immune to Sandstorm, benefits from Rain Dance, is immune to Thunder, has great Def after a Curse or two, has STAB'd EQ, can outrun Trick Room teams, can scout and stall with Protect, absorbs Water attacks, and has just enough HP (assuming max IVs) for maximum Leftovers recovery. What's not to love?

Watch out for PHazers, Hazers, anything with Water Absorb or Levitate, Steel types, Water types, most Dragons, Toxic, Taunt, and anything with a Grass attack. Fucking speedy Pokemon with Grass Knot. I'm lookin' at you, Raichu, Alakazam, Starmie, Jynx, Xatu, Gardevoir, Plusle, Minun, Infernape, Pachirisu, Lopunny, and Togekiss.
    Zenith
    Zenith

Male

Post by Zenith Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:24 pm

Sailor Moon wrote:Watch out for PHazers, Hazers, anything with Water Absorb or Levitate, Steel types, Water types, most Dragons, Toxic, Taunt, and anything with a Grass attack. Fucking speedy Pokemon with Grass Knot. I'm lookin' at you, Raichu, Alakazam, Starmie, Jynx, Xatu, Gardevoir, Plusle, Minun, Infernape, Pachirisu, Lopunny, and Togekiss.
    That's quite a long list xD
    Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male

Post by Shine Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:31 pm

Lord Ryu wrote:
    Sailor Moon wrote:Watch out for PHazers, Hazers, anything with Water Absorb or Levitate, Steel types, Water types, most Dragons, Toxic, Taunt, and anything with a Grass attack. Fucking speedy Pokemon with Grass Knot. I'm lookin' at you, Raichu, Alakazam, Starmie, Jynx, Xatu, Gardevoir, Plusle, Minun, Infernape, Pachirisu, Lopunny, and Togekiss.
    I do it all for the lulz. Wink
    Prostiboots
    Prostiboots
    Admin
    Admin

Male

Post by Prostiboots Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:09 pm

GreetsTheMoon wrote:
    Lord Ryu wrote:
    All for the lulz, eh?
    Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male

Post by Shine Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:39 pm

Sagechild wrote:
    GreetsTheMoon wrote:
    Lord Ryu wrote:
    All for the lulz, eh?
    No, not really. .__.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:29 am