Shuten Dojo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shuten Dojo

Pokemon D/P/Pt Wifi Dojo.

5 posters

SYFFT: Final Fantasy IX

Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male
    Number of posts : 1642
    Yen : 19310
    User's Pokemon : SYFFT: Final Fantasy IX Dpmfa232
    Registration date : 2008-05-09

SYFFT: Final Fantasy IX Empty SYFFT: Final Fantasy IX

Post by Shine Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:39 pm

Howdy all! I'm starting a short forum mini-series called SYFFT, or "Share Your Final Fantasy Team"! Basically, you reply with how you personally prefer to handle your team in a particular Final Fantasy title!

This post is going to cover the most recent Final Fantasy game I've played, that being Final Fantasy IX! Initially, I hated FFIX, but after not having played it for a while and trying again, I find it a MUCH better game than I first thought! So, we're gonna start off with this!

Here's my team!

Zidane (back row)
    Zidane pretty much just Steals most of the time, and then uses Thievery for damage. Since Thievery is set based on how many times Zidane has successfully stolen items, it's okay for him to be in the back row, and he doesn't need the Bright Eyes ability. Zidane's primarily geared for high Speed. With an Active ATB, all my other characters can input commands while Thievery is going off, making my team generally faster than the enemy.

Eiko (back row)
    Eiko's a lot better than Garnet/Dagger if you ask me. Most of the time, she Defends and heals when necessary while Zidane Steals shit. When it's time to go on the offensive, I have her use Holy. It only costs 36 MP (almost twenty less than Madeen), and tends to do 7000-8000+ damage when I have her equipped with Magic Racket, Flash Hat, Jade Armlet, White Robe, and Maiden Prayer- all of which boosts Holy attack damage. Carbuncle is also extremely useful in a lot of cases, and Eiko gets Full-Life, too.

Vivi (back row)
    Vivi will Focus-spam while Zidane Steals stuff until it's time to go on the offensive, in which case, I have him bounce Water spells off a character with Reflect. Gold Hairpin and Octagon Rod both boost Water damage, and Water only costs 22 MP, not to mention it can target multiple enemies, making it a lot better than Flare in most cases. He bounces Water off Reflect because he always has the Reflectx2 ability, which doubles the damage of any spells he casts that are Reflected.

Amarant (back row)
    Amarant is easily one of the best characters you can have. Amarant I'll have cast Auras while Zidane Steals, which give a character Auto-Life and Regen. After that, he'll use Chakra on Vivi and Eiko to keep their MP high when they need it, and throw Rising Suns from the back row for 7000+ damage. Aside from that, he also has an Auto-Reflect up to give Vivi something to bounce his Water spells off of. He's harder to heal since any magic will get bounced off, but that's why he has Auto-Potion, too.

All of my characters always pack Auto-Haste, too. Zidane always has Bandit and Master Thief, Eiko always has Auto-Regen, Vivi always has Reflectx2 and Auto-Regen, and Amarant always has Auto-Reflect and Auto-Potion. After that, any other magic stones are usually dedicated to status immunity abilities depending on the area, and then after that, and spare are distributed based on whatever boss is coming up next. Eiko and Vivi like Auto-Regen because their low HP allows them to restore nearly to full HP during Zidane's Thievery animation, because it's so long. Madeen with the Boost ability is also useful for this reason.

As for the other characters...
    Spoiler:

Prostiboots
    Prostiboots
    Admin
    Admin

Male
    Number of posts : 3306
    Yen : 1000000
    User's Pokemon : SYFFT: Final Fantasy IX Dpmfa280

SYFFT: Final Fantasy IX Empty Re: SYFFT: Final Fantasy IX

Post by Prostiboots Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:39 pm

I'm not a back row person, anything that hits hard, hits the back row....

Anyway, eventually I'll just use Zidane, Quina, Freya, and Steiner and all of their guaranteed cheap 9,999 moves.

Bahaha.
    Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male

Post by Shine Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:41 pm

Prostiboots wrote:I'm not a back row person, anything that hits hard, hits the back row....

Anyway, eventually I'll just use Zidane, Quina, Freya, and Steiner and all of their guaranteed cheap 9,999 moves.

Bahaha.
    I like back row... I can't really think of much reason not to get as many characters in the back row as you can, personally. I've always liked defensive play, anyway.
    Prostiboots
    Prostiboots
    Admin
    Admin

Male

Post by Prostiboots Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:19 am

Defensive play in an FF game outside of tactics is silly, you're just supposed to overlevel and kill with that!
    Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male

Post by Shine Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:27 pm

Prostiboots wrote:Defensive play in an FF game outside of tactics is silly, you're just supposed to overlevel and kill with that!
    There's never really something you're "supposed" to do party-wise in a Final Fantasy game unless certain members are required for an area or cutscene (in which case, most FF games won't even really give you an option as to whether you do or don't bring those members). It's a matter of playstyle. Some people might like sitting around grinding all day long, but I personally am not fond of it. I like to underlevel and play with a little more strategy, considering how easy so many games make it to do that. In many cases, you're better off staying as low leveled as possible for the bulk of the game. In Final Fantasy VIII, enemy levels are pretty much an average of your party's level. In Final Fantasy VI, your stats are based off of what espers you have equipped when you level up, but you don't really get any A+ ones till mid-game, so it's generally better to wait until you get better espers to start leveling. I like to get through games fairly quick on the first playthrough or two and then perfect my runs on the third or fourth to make it quick, efficient, and still entertaining and challenging.
    Zenith
    Zenith
    Strategy Sensei/Chatbox Moderator
    Strategy Sensei/Chatbox Moderator

Male
    Number of posts : 2252
    Yen : 89500
    User's Pokemon : SYFFT: Final Fantasy IX Dpmfa282

Post by Zenith Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:43 pm

Generally with parties I just go with the characters I like the best. So I went Zidane/Vivi/Garnet/Freya or Amarant for the most part towards the end.
    Prostiboots
    Prostiboots
    Admin
    Admin

Male

Post by Prostiboots Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:10 pm

I play under leveled, too. I just play with a non defensive strategy, I like battles to finish quickly.
    Akubarix
    Akubarix

Male
    Number of posts : 210
    Yen : 500
    User's Pokemon : SYFFT: Final Fantasy IX Dpmfa160
    Registration date : 2009-02-09

Post by Akubarix Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:56 am

....Back row for lower def characters
    .... Front row for the doodz with the tudes.
    Nyah.
    Also: I go with characters I like over practicality.
    Shiki
    Shiki
    Element Sensei
    Element Sensei

Male
    Number of posts : 706
    Yen : 19700
    User's Pokemon : SYFFT: Final Fantasy IX Dpmfa490

Post by Shiki Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:31 am

Akubarix wrote:
    Also: I go with characters I like over practicality.
    Best of all choices. After all, Final Fantasy games are always retarded easy, it's not like a Megami Tensei game where you need to have a character with a specific element to exploit the enemies weakness.

I always just go Protagonist + three female characters, because I'm a shitty human being. Cloud/Tifa/Yuffie/Aeris, Squall/Rinoa/Quistis/Selphie, etc.

Auron broke the trend occasionally in X because he's just that A+. Same with Balthier for XII.
    Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male

Post by Shine Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:39 pm

Except for Steiner, I love all the FFIX characters. And since I love them all, and find it difficult to pick favorites, I go on to the next step and pick the most practical and useful characters for my party.

Also, the team I've got setup pretty much gives you the best results for the least amount of work. Steal all throughout the game with Zidane and Thievery will naturally be A+ later. Eiko almost immediately gets Holy and Curaga from one of her flutes, instantly making her best healer and the better offensive choice. Vivi is just Vivi. You can't really have a team without him in FFIX D:. Finally, Amarant gets Aura and deals tons of damage really easy with Throw.

It's just a REALLY EASY party to use.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:38 am