Shuten Dojo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shuten Dojo

Pokemon D/P/Pt Wifi Dojo.

5 posters

Some B/W Stuff

Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male
    Number of posts : 1642
    Yen : 19310
    User's Pokemon : Some B/W Stuff Dpmfa232
    Registration date : 2008-05-09

Some B/W Stuff Empty Some B/W Stuff

Post by Shine Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:51 am

Just a couple things I noticed that strike me as nifty:

Ninetales
    Yeah, it gets Drought now. Nifty thing though- aside from being a good lead for Sunny Day teams, it can also handle all the SR users pretty well. Aside from things with Sturdy and T-Tar, it can generally take everything out with Flamethrower or Solarbeam in the Sun. Cool beans. Overheat in the Sun is stupid-strong, and adding in Power Swap makes it laugh at Surf and Boiling Water.

Murkrow
    Murkrow can get Mischievous Heart and Whirlwind. Assuming Mischievous Heart cancels the negative priority on Whirlwind... SR and Spikes, anyone? In addition to that, Murkrow would be able to easily stop a lot of things like DD Gyarados and the likes after they've already set up. Even Scissor would be countered.

Breloom
    290 or so power Wake-Up Slap with Technician. In addition to that, Bullet Seed, with two hits, reaches about 112 power- eight less than a Seed Bomb. In addition to that, Bullet Seed can hit even more than that, and potentially has five chances to crit, as well as breaking through Subs. Nifty stuff... Still not as good as the standard Breloom, but nifty to know. I like gimmicks.

That's about it right now.
    Akubarix
    Akubarix

Male
    Number of posts : 210
    Yen : 500
    User's Pokemon : Some B/W Stuff Dpmfa160
    Registration date : 2009-02-09

Some B/W Stuff Empty Re: Some B/W Stuff

Post by Akubarix Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:59 am

As discussed in the other B/W topic:

-3 pokemon (2, if you count evolution) get an ability where they can use a berry for an infinite amount of times until the battle ends. Granted, the 3 pokes aren't super stars, but rest+ instant awake means for an instant 100% recovery with little room for punishment and having to "waste" a slot with sleep talk or snore.

-The heart skills in DOUBLE battles could be triggered by your own Pokemon attacking multiple targets. Could prove useful. Could be a troll thing. Might not even work at all.

-Some of the new attacks seem useful. Dragon Tail comes to mind. A whirlwind/roar that also damages an opponent's pokemon can and WILL change the metagame and how people caused forced switches. If a Pokemon can learn both, Whirlwind instantly becomes outclassed. Even if Dragon Tail has the same priority, 60 base damage with Dragon type behind it could wreck house. Not too many pokemon resist it as most types take normal damage from dragon type attacks.

-There are some new "metal bugs"... And even a bug/fire type! One appears to be this generations Mewtwo with a laser cannon on his freakin' back and the other seems to be some sort of badass super ant. The fire type is a bug that uses special attacks. It'd be a nice change for those who use Venomoth. Taking normal damage from fire has got to be the dream of all bug pokemon everywhere. Scizor shed's a tear though, as he and Scyther get JACK this go around=p.

-Dragons have all received some type support. Fire/Ice/Dark and pure dragon types? Sign me up. Not to mention my dream typing of Dragon/Electric. It's now more possible than ever to have a dragon team that doesn't completely suck and/or can cover other dragon type elemental weaknesses. 3 headed dark-dragon type? PFFT. You know you want it. Don't even pretend you don't.

Zenith
    Zenith
    Strategy Sensei/Chatbox Moderator

Male
    Number of posts : 2252
    Yen : 89500
    User's Pokemon : Some B/W Stuff Dpmfa282

Post by Zenith Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:58 am

I wrote:Pokemon Online released an alpha of Gen V a couple weeks ago; these are a few quick observations. I'll make a more comprehensive post later. Obviously, this is not at all indicative of Gen V, as it's brand new and also does not feature things like new items or a few of the more complicated abilities and attacks.

• Urgamoth is pretty overrated, although Sub/Butterfly Dance/Bug Buzz/Fire Dance or Flamethrower seems to work the best. Typically, this is combined with Swarm and a stat-boosting berry for potentially devastating effect. However, it is kept in check by Pokemon like...
    • Kerudio! With great stats, great offensive typing, and Swords Dance, Kerudio is a potent threat. It will probably be banned, honestly. But yeah, it also has Aqua Jet. Which is awesome.
    • Ononokusu is overrated as well, but not as much as some people thought. A DD set can work pretty well, but setting up is a pain due to lackluster defenses and speed (don't even try SD, you won't live long enough to utilize it). It is kept in check mostly by...
    • Sazando! Which I haven't used much, but have had used against me and it seems pretty great. Anyway.
    • Ditto is a god. Well, kind of. It keeps Urgamoth, Chanderaa and Ononokusu in check perfectly - honestly, most set-up Pokemon fall to the might that is Choice Scarf Ditto. Just don't try it against walls, and be careful with using it against a Pokemon you suspect of having a Scarf.
    • Speaking of Chanderaa, it's pretty okay. Fragile (well, more fragile than most other Pokemon) defenses make Shadow Tag hard to utilize. I don't think that it will be as threatening as people think, but maybe someone will come up with some amazing set. Horrible typing is a bit of an issue, too.
    • Nattorei seems pretty decent as a setup Pokemon.
    • I have not seen many Gigaiasu. In fact, I think I've only seen one. Mark my words though, he'll become more common later.
    • Roopushin (is that its name?) is awesome. It's wrecked my team more than once.

There's a new beta too, with almost everything implemented, but I haven't tried it out yet.
    Sasami
    Sasami
    Master Sensei/Admin
    Master Sensei/Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 3133
    Yen : 121200
    User's Pokemon : Some B/W Stuff Dpmfa368
    Registration date : 2008-05-08

Post by Sasami Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:54 pm

Politoed with Drizzle <3 <3. I always love rain teams XD.

I haven't really gotten a chance to play any competitive matches, I hope to fix this over my long weekend (Monday AND Tuesday off, hell yeah). I imported the game, though, so at least I've gotten my fifth gen Pokemon fix through playing in-game ^^.
    Prostiboots
    Prostiboots
    Admin
    Admin

Male
    Number of posts : 3306
    Yen : 1000000
    User's Pokemon : Some B/W Stuff Dpmfa280

Post by Prostiboots Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:02 pm

Someone should try Leaf Storm Perversity Jaroda and tell me how that goes...
    Zenith
    Zenith

Male
    Number of posts : 2252
    Yen : 89500
    User's Pokemon : Some B/W Stuff Dpmfa282

Post by Zenith Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:21 pm

I know a few people who have tried that, but Jalorda's attacking stats are just too poor to justify using it.
    Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male
    Number of posts : 1642
    Yen : 19310
    User's Pokemon : Some B/W Stuff Dpmfa232

Post by Shine Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:55 pm

Zenith wrote:I know a few people who have tried that, but Jalorda's attacking stats are just too poor to justify using it.
    Maybe it'd be good for a late-game cleanup with a Scarf? I like Jaroda, it really seems to be the only starter I care about... Emboar's okay, but I don't like that his design is so similar to Infernape's. I know the story behind it, but I still don't really like it. I DO find it cool that he learns Boiling Water, though.

Jalorda gets Glare and Pursuit, and outruns Gengar. That alone's pretty nifty, to me. Also, it has access to Growth, and with Perversity, it might be able to mix... Really speedy Taunt, too.
    Prostiboots
    Prostiboots
    Admin
    Admin

Male
    Number of posts : 3306
    Yen : 1000000
    User's Pokemon : Some B/W Stuff Dpmfa280

Post by Prostiboots Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:41 am

Zenith wrote:I know a few people who have tried that, but Jalorda's attacking stats are just too poor to justify using it.
    I dunno, 498 Special Attack after a Leaf Storm is good.

Must be why they only gave it grass type attacks and HP for coverage, which is likely the issue... it should still make an acceptable cleaner once Blissey and the like are out... I'd never try to all out sweep with that poor of coverage.
    Akubarix
    Akubarix

Male
    Number of posts : 210
    Yen : 500
    User's Pokemon : Some B/W Stuff Dpmfa160
    Registration date : 2009-02-09

Post by Akubarix Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:04 am

I think I like Daikenki the best.
    It's a pure water type.... Get's Shell armor.... Megahorn, Shell Blade, Swords Dance <3, Encore and some other nifty moves for type coverage.

Granted, it's a glass cannon. But I love me some cool looking water types. Not to mention when they're basically "Water Scythers".... If only Scyther could get Megahorn... Sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:17 am