Shuten Dojo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shuten Dojo

Pokemon D/P/Pt Wifi Dojo.

3 posters

Shine's First Standard OU RMT

Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male
    Number of posts : 1642
    Yen : 19310
    User's Pokemon : Shine's First Standard OU RMT Dpmfa232
    Registration date : 2008-05-09

Shine's First Standard OU RMT Empty Shine's First Standard OU RMT

Post by Shine Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:48 pm

So, in a fit of boredom, I broke down and made a standard OU team. I didn't bother looking up Smogon EV spreads- just made my own. I even used some of the Pokemon I hate most, just cause they filled the slot right. Anyway, here you go- Shine's first ever STANDARD OU team.

At a Glance
    ============================
    Shine's First Standard OU RMT Dpmba212Shine's First Standard OU RMT Dpmba260Shine's First Standard OU RMT Dpmba251Shine's First Standard OU RMT Dpmba485Shine's First Standard OU RMT Dpmba094Shine's First Standard OU RMT Dpfba242
    ============================

Shine's First Standard OU RMT Dpmfa212
    Scizor @Lum Berry
    -Swords Dance
    -Bullet Punch
    -Superpower
    -U-Turn
    Technician, Jolly
    252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP

No particular purpose besides to kill things- I just picked a Pokemon and stuck it in my lead slot. Lum Berry's there for Sleep Powder/Hypnosis leads, as well as things like WilloWisp, which Scizor's a pretty big target of. Scizor without Superpower is a sad panda indeed. U-Turn's there cause, well... It's U-Turn.

Shine's First Standard OU RMT Dpmfa260
    Swampert @Leftovers
    -Stealth Rock
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Earth Power
    Torrent, Modest
    172 HP, 200 Def, 136 Sp.Atk

This just gives me a Fire resistance to protect Scizor, with minimal weaknesses. Grass is pretty easy to cover... Stealth Rock support is always nice, and I figured this thing wouldn't mind sucking up WilloWisps, either, since it's entirely special based. Leftovers for recovery... The spread's kinda weak, and I think I might wanna make it Bold.

Shine's First Standard OU RMT Dpmfa251
    Celebi @Leftovers
    -Leech Seed
    -Heal Bell
    -Recover
    -Seed Bomb
    Natural Cure, Impish
    236 HP, 112 Def, 160 Sp.Def

Celebi covers that Grass weakness on Swampert, and its big Bug weakness is already covered by Scizor, as well as Dark, Ghost, and Ice- Swampert can also comfortably switch into most of those... Heal Bell support's good, as well as Leech Seed to *BLEEP* people up and Seed Bomb just to not be entirely walled by Taunt.

Shine's First Standard OU RMT Dpmfa485
    Heatran @Choice Scarf
    -Overheat
    -Flamethrower
    -Earth Power
    -Explosion
    Flash Fire, Mild
    48 Atk, 252 Sp.Atk, 208 Spd

Heatran is another option for Celebi- switches happily into Bug, Ice, Dark, Ghost, etc... And a Scarfer's almost a must on any team. I figured Heatran must've been popular as one for a reason, soooo... I made one. Overheat's for single shots, since it pairs so well with Scarf (gonna have to switch eventually, anyway), and Flamethrower's for late-game sweeping. Earth Power's for coverage, and Explosion's just there for when Heatran's outlived its use.

Shine's First Standard OU RMT Dpmfa094
    Gengar @Black Sludge
    -Substitute
    -Shadow Ball
    -Thunderbolt
    -Focus Punch
    Levitate, Hasty
    48 Atk, 216 Sp.Atk, 244 Spd

Gengar protects Heatran against Ground and Fighting attacks, and it can counter Blissey with Focus Punch, since they've got a high tendency to switch into this thing, expecting a pure Sp.Sweeper- it works especially well when the enemy has some Paralyzed Pokemon or something, and use a turn to Aromatherapy, losing more than half their health in the process. Sub pairs up well with Gengar's fragile nature, anyway. I figure this also oughta OHKO T-Tar, but I don't have any calcs to prove it.

Shine's First Standard OU RMT Dpffa242
    Blissey @Leftovers
    -Softboiled
    -Aromatherapy
    -Thunderwave
    -Ice Beam
    Natural Cure, Bold
    212 HP, 252 Def, 44 Sp.Def

Last one on the team... Honestly, more of a filler than anything. I decided I needed something with some sponginess, so Blissey showed up. Aromatherapy here might be excessive, since Celebi has Heal Bell, so one of the two will probably be replaced. T-Wave's good on Blissey, and Ice Beam's there to handle Ground types switching in.
    Tobi
    Tobi
    Ubers Sensei
    Ubers Sensei

Male
    Number of posts : 4518
    Yen : 37300
    User's Pokemon : Shine's First Standard OU RMT Dpmfsa315

Shine's First Standard OU RMT Empty Re: Shine's First Standard OU RMT

Post by Tobi Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:33 pm

It's so OU it just might work.

All you need is a Magicarp stage 1.
    Sasami
    Sasami
    Master Sensei/Admin
    Master Sensei/Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 3133
    Yen : 121200
    User's Pokemon : Shine's First Standard OU RMT Dpmfa368
    Registration date : 2008-05-08

Post by Sasami Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:02 pm

This team is so cute and outdated <3. Hehe. No, but seriously :p. It's not bad at all (pretty solid, really!), just not exactly prepared for the current metagame.

Let's see...

First off, your lead is going to run into problems with Metagross and Jirachi, both of which are common leads. In fact, although you can technically defeat Azelf (the most common lead), it'll probably OHKO with Flamethrower. Heatran may even give you issues if it's scarfed or something (Heatran is another fairly common lead). Infernape also beats Scizor one-on-one thanks to his steel double resist. But anyways, back to the first problem--Jirachi is going to trick a Scarf onto you, rendering your Swords Dance strategy useless (why are you running a set-up sweeper in the first slot, anyways?). Metagross can do the same thing, but he'll probably just set up rocks instead or take out a good chunk of your health. Lum Berry is basically useless as sleep leads are quite rare at the moment.

Honestly, it just seems like Scizor loses to the common leads and would do better being saved for late-game, especially if you want to use the Swords Dance strategy. Swords Dance Scizor really lacks power and is easily countered before he sets up--trying to pull off anything early on is going to end in failure. If you must lead with Scizor or use it early in the game, try out the Choice Band set with something like Bullet Punch/U-Turn/Pursuit/Superpower. You'll mostly be using U-Turn--never lock yourself into Bullet Punch early on.

By the way, you have another important reason to use Choice Band Scizor with Pursuit and her name is Latias. Latias basically laughs at your team for the most part and is going to have a field day setting up Calm Mind or blasting out Specs Draco Meteors. Blissey can counter her to an extent but risks having a Choice item tricked onto her. Calm Mind Latias usually wins in the end, anyways, especially if it's running Refresh. By running Pursuit on Scizor, you can trap and OHKO Latias before she does a lot of damage.

For Swampert, I'd just go with the Smogon EV spread since yours seems kinda random. Mess with it after some testing. Bold with 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SpA should be great.

Celebi seems like set-up fodder on this team but she should be ok if played correctly. If you replace her, replace her with a GOOD lead like Jirachi or something. I say Jirachi only to keep with the bulkiness of the team.

Heatran's fine but you may want to consider Dragon Pulse over something to avoid giving Latias a free switch-in.

Gengar needs a total makeover IMO. Blissey isn't crazy common like she used to be and you have a Heatran with Explosion to lure in and KO her anyways. Go with a full special attacking set. Like I said, just KO Blissey with Heatran in order to sweep with Gengar. That should work nicely.

Blissey no longer gets by running defense EVs. In the current metagame, she needs max special defense in order to handle threats like Latias, Specs Heatran, Special Lucario, etc. etc. So go for Calm with 252 HP/252 Sp.Def/4 Speed. The speed is to possibly out-speed other Blissey since most won't be running speed. Just something I've always done Wink. Get rid of Aromatherapy since you already have Heal Bell and status isn't even that common. Blissey should always run Flamethrower--otherwise, you're just begging for Scizor to switch in for free. If it was my team, I'd actually use something like Wish/Protect/Flamethrower/Ice Beam or T-Bolt. That way she can actually be useful and do some Wish Passing instead of being set-up bait.

Overall, not a bad team, just not ready for today's metagame. I'm sure you'd net a fair amount of wins because you're a good player...but in the long run you'll need to make some changes.

EDIT: On Celebi, Grass Knot > Seed Bomb. Grass Knot will allow your Celebi to take on Gyarados and do some decent damage to the Tyranitar coming in to Pursuit you.
    Tobi
    Tobi
    Ubers Sensei
    Ubers Sensei

Male

Post by Tobi Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:09 pm

Hey, are you sure with the Speed?

The last time I shoddyed with someone, it was Bliss vs Bliss, his was faster, and we both had Toxic.

As he was faster, Toxic killed his first and I won.

Toxic on Bliss is a must also.
    Sasami
    Sasami
    Master Sensei/Admin
    Master Sensei/Admin

Female

Post by Sasami Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:24 pm

Tobi wrote:Hey, are you sure with the Speed?

The last time I shoddyed with someone, it was Bliss vs Bliss, his was faster, and we both had Toxic.

As he was faster, Toxic killed his first and I won.

Toxic on Bliss is a must also.

The chances of Shine being in that exact situation are slim if you ask me. But hey, it's up to him. I'm just going by what I do and it's helped me.

As for Toxic, it's not a must on Blissey. It depends on what you need Blissey to do and what kind of team you're running. With steel types everywhere, Toxic is actually LESS useful now then it used to be. So I dunno. Shine's team is looking more offensive than defensive at this point and so I think he'd benefit more from Wish support than Toxic support. If he was using a stall/defensive team, then I might have recommended something else.
    Tobi
    Tobi
    Ubers Sensei
    Ubers Sensei

Male

Post by Tobi Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:06 pm

Well ya, but my reams are very heavy on attacking too.

Blissy is something you switch to take hits that your other pokemon can't take, give off burn, or poisen, or whatever, then let it die, holding out to do damage with toxic building up.

Protect helps too.

But again, thats just how I use her, more of a pawn then anything, can't stand stalls.
    Sasami
    Sasami
    Master Sensei/Admin
    Master Sensei/Admin

Female

Post by Sasami Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:28 am

Tobi wrote:Well ya, but my reams are very heavy on attacking too.

Blissy is something you switch to take hits that your other pokemon can't take, give off burn, or poisen, or whatever, then let it die, holding out to do damage with toxic building up.

Protect helps too.

But again, thats just how I use her, more of a pawn then anything, can't stand stalls.

Yeah, but if you're going to give Bliss a status attack, isn't it more useful for an offensive team to have the opponent's team paralyzed? That way your sweepers can more easily sweep. It's not like a decent player is going to let their Pokemon die to toxic damage in most cases.

Unless you were running a Bliss with Toxic AND T-Wave which I could understand, sort of.

But in this case, I don't even feel like Shine's Blissey needs a status attack to help the team. And if it's going to run one, I think that Thunder Wave will ultimately prove more useful overall. You never want Blissey to become set-up fodder and if you start throwing Toxic around, you're inviting Pokemon like Lucario, Metagross, Heracross, etc. to switch in. On the other hand, Thunder Wave scares off a TON of Pokemon. And the grounds who are immune to it fear Ice Beam.

Just my opinion. I've used a lot of different Blissey sets. Toxic is certainly viable but I prefer Thunder Wave or general team support (Wish Passing, Stealth Rock, Light Screen, Aromatherapy, etc.) on more offensive or balanced teams. Toxic has served me better on defensive/stall teams.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content