Shuten Dojo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shuten Dojo

Pokemon D/P/Pt Wifi Dojo.

5 posters

Unexpected Heroes

Zeph
    Zeph

Male
    Number of posts : 897
    Yen : 8,600
    User's Pokemon : Unexpected Heroes Dpmfa407
    Registration date : 2008-05-09

Unexpected Heroes Empty Unexpected Heroes

Post by Zeph Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:00 pm

This is my first RMT, and as the title says you probably will never see most of these sets used.

Changes are in Blue

Quick Overview
    Unexpected Heroes Dpmfa411Unexpected Heroes Dpmfa099Unexpected Heroes Dpmfa178Unexpected Heroes JynxUnexpected Heroes Dpmfa359Unexpected Heroes Dpmfa480

So you're probably thinking, this team has alot of good members an- wait, is that a Bastiodon? This team is mostly comprised of original sets, or tweaked versions of standards. This is also the first team I've used Pokemon I like rather then the better ones. This Team Is Used In Standard Play

In-Depth

Unexpected Heroes Dpmfa411

Plateau@Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP/228 DEF/228 SDef
    Nature: Relaxed
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roar
    - Stone Edge
    - Toxic

I'm really tired of Bastiodon's terrible reputation, when in actuality it is one of the best walls in UU. Sets up Stealth Rock on the first turn, then Roars. This messes up most leads, who try to buff their stats or set up layers of Spikes. This has actually been able to bring the whole team below 60%. While you're Roaring the team, their one attack barely does enough damage that Leftovers won't recover in the next few turns. Toxic on things you're certain can't kill it, Stone Edge for Taunters.

Unexpected Heroes Dpmfa099

Cue@Leftovers
    Ability: Hyper Cutter
    EVs: 98 HP/252 Def/160 Sdef
    Nature: Impish
    - Amnesia
    - Crabhammer
    - Rock Slide
    - X-Scissor

You can't deny that Kingler has amazing Defense and amazing Attack, but on the Special Defensive side it's weaker than wet tissue paper. Have no fear, Amnesia is here! A lot of people switch to their Defensive Wall whenever Kingler comes out. Basic is Amnesia, then sweep. Crabhammer for STAB, Rock Slide for Fliers, Gyrados. And X-Scissor for Grass Types.

Unexpected Heroes Dpmfa178

Totem@Leftovers
    Ability: Synchronize
    EVs: 196 HP/60 Atk/252 Spd
    Nature: Jolly
    - Tailwind
    - U-Turn
    - Wish
    - Zen Headbutt

Currently the weakest member of my team, but has amazing potential. With it's investment in speed, hitting 317 it outspeeds the majority of the UU Metagame and most of the OU Metagame. It's role is it sets up Tailwind, which most people have no idea what it even does. Tailwind doubles the speed of your team for 3 Turns, not including the one when it's used. This turns slow attackers into a 3 turn all out assault. On the off chance you don't die you have 3 options: If you're switching to someone you have already used, but is a little low on health then Wish. If you can predict the move they are going to use, and can switch to a counter than U-Turn. And if you believe Totem can actually take it's opponent out then use Zen Headbutt.

Unexpected Heroes Jynx

Mrs. Mime@ Leftovers
    Ability: Forewarn
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SpAtk
    Nature: Timid
    - Lovely Kiss
    - Substitute
    - Calm Mind
    - Ice Beam

I know this is Smogon Copypasta, but this set is too good to pass on. Jynx, like Xatu, outspeeds a lot of things allowing it to Lovely Kiss whatever is out there. If under the effects of Tailwind, it's definitely going to strike first (Excluding Priority) Once the opponent is taking a nap, set up Substitute CM away until they wake up and break it. No matter, Lovely Kiss again, rinse and repeat, then sweep. Incase something is faster than Jynx and breaks the Sub, it can still kill it on that turn and probably continue to do so.

Unexpected Heroes Dpmfa359

Devastation@Scope Lens
    Ability: Super Luck
    EVs: 129 HP/252 Atk/129 Spd
    Nature: Adamant
    - Night Slash
    - Psycho Cut
    - Sucker Punch
    - X-Scissor

Holy shit, when this thing is backed up from Tailwind your opponent can do nothing to stop it. No Swords Dance so I have more type coverage, and a chance to perform a critical. With Super Luck, Scope Lens, and using a Critcal Move, it has a 50% Chance of landing a critical hit. With my amazing luck, this thing has been landing them all over the place. And even when the Tailwind peters out, Devastation can still cause, havoc with Sucker Punch.

Unexpected Heroes Dpmfa480

Erazor@Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 240 HP/28 Def/216 Spd/16 SpAtk/8 SpD
    Nature: Relaxed
    - Calm Mind
    - Thunderbolt
    - Yawn
    - Protect

This thing is the reason this team isn't used in UU, I couldn't find any other wall that can do the same thing that Uxie can. Even when another Pokemon is sleeping, Yawn still says that the opponent has become drowsy this tricks people into switching and if they don't you can just Protect the turn they fall asleep. This is when you CM, Psychic for STAB and possibly doing damage to something if Uxie can get enough Calm Mind's in.

Conclusion

Okay well that's my team, criticism is appreciated. The team currently has a record of 24-6 in the OU Metagame.

Last edited by Shade on Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
    Prostiboots
    Prostiboots
    Admin
    Admin

Male
    Number of posts : 3306
    Yen : 1000000
    User's Pokemon : Unexpected Heroes Dpmfa280

Unexpected Heroes Empty Re: Unexpected Heroes

Post by Prostiboots Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:32 pm

Bulkygyara.

That is all.
    Sasami
    Sasami
    Master Sensei/Admin
    Master Sensei/Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 3133
    Yen : 121200
    User's Pokemon : Unexpected Heroes Dpmfa368
    Registration date : 2008-05-08

Post by Sasami Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:17 am

Sagechild wrote:Bulkygyara.

That is all.

He could give Uxie Charge Beam to take care of that issue =). The sp.atk boosts would be more than welcome. It could be put over Protect.

However, I still don't feel Gyarados would be an issue. Uxie can Yawn which would at least force it out. And with Bastiodon setting up Stealth Rock, it can't keep switching back in.

I would be more worried about Pursuit users who can destroy Xatu, Jynx, AND Uxie. Once Xatu and Uxie are gone, most fighting types will give the team serious problems. Breloom is particularly concerning. Speaking of Pursuit users, a well-played Tyranitar is going to rape this team. Kingler is the only one who can really stand up to it but it'll die to a Thunderbolt (which mixed T-Tar sets often run). Status is another issue that this team will have to play around.

It seems to me that a RestTalk Weezing would do wonders but you'd probably have to put it over Kingler. I would run a more offensive Weezing so you don't lose out on a ton of power. Of course, these are just suggestions.

I don't have time to write a full review of the team or anything...these are just things I noticed from a quick glance XD.

Remember, too, that the Platinum metagame is in a state of chaos, haha. It'll take a while to settle down and trying to build a viable team is tricky at the moment. A team can be amazing one week and run into serious problems the next. Don't be discouraged by the constant changes on Shoddy.
    Prostiboots
    Prostiboots
    Admin
    Admin

Male

Post by Prostiboots Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:43 am

Sasami wrote:
    Sagechild wrote:Bulkygyara.

That is all.

He could give Uxie Charge Beam to take care of that issue =). The sp.atk boosts would be more than welcome. It could be put over Protect.

However, I still don't feel Gyarados would be an issue. Uxie can Yawn which would at least force it out. And with Bastiodon setting up Stealth Rock, it can't keep switching back in.

I would be more worried about Pursuit users who can destroy Xatu, Jynx, AND Uxie. Once Xatu and Uxie are gone, most fighting types will give the team serious problems. Breloom is particularly concerning. Speaking of Pursuit users, a well-played Tyranitar is going to rape this team. Kingler is the only one who can really stand up to it but it'll die to a Thunderbolt (which mixed T-Tar sets often run). Status is another issue that this team will have to play around.

It seems to me that a RestTalk Weezing would do wonders but you'd probably have to put it over Kingler. I would run a more offensive Weezing so you don't lose out on a ton of power. Of course, these are just suggestions.

I don't have time to write a full review of the team or anything...these are just things I noticed from a quick glance XD.

Remember, too, that the Platinum metagame is in a state of chaos, haha. It'll take a while to settle down and trying to build a viable team is tricky at the moment. A team can be amazing one week and run into serious problems the next. Don't be discouraged by the constant changes on Shoddy.
    Bulkygyara gets Taunt, and there's always Sleep Clause.

XD

After a DD, the team's done, really.

But Charge Beam Could take care of that.
    Zeph
    Zeph

Male

Post by Zeph Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:17 am

Actually, Uxie had Thunderbolt first, and then I changed the set. I'll change it back though.
    KOkingpin
    KOkingpin

Male
    Number of posts : 224
    Yen : 12000
    Registration date : 2008-05-10

Post by KOkingpin Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:07 am

Kingler needs max speed and a scarf. that mother fucker is ridiculous. ask sami lololololol
    Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male
    Number of posts : 1642
    Yen : 19310
    User's Pokemon : Unexpected Heroes Dpmfa232

Post by Shine Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:52 pm

I've never used Uxie, so I wouldn't really know from the spread, but I think it's generally better used as Sp.Wall... Or, well, maybe it's like Celebi, or CalmCune... Lots of Def, and Calm Mind for Sp.Atk and Sp.Def. That's what I've seen most people do, at least.

Kingler looks horrid, I'm sad to say. There's no use in Amnesia or those Sp.Def EVs, especially considering Kingler's HP. Shell Armor > Hyper Cutter in this case, since you want him to be a wall. If you really want a wall, I'd go Toxic or Knock Off over Amnesia, since both are useful. Toxic helps supplement Kingler's crippled damage output since you're completely ignoring his wonderful Atk stat, and Knock Off fucks up, some things. At least you can keep TrickScarf Pokemon from keeping your Leftovers and such, which is kinda like a "yeah, fuck you too" thing. Kingler needs more HP. Consider this: Mr. Mime has only 30 less HP than Kingler at max, and Kingler lacks Filter. I'd try the below and see how it works out. Sadly, pretty much every Electric type outruns AND OHKO's you, so it's always forced to switch against them...

Kingler @Leftovers
    -Knock Off/Toxic
    -Swords Dance
    -Crabhammer
    -Rock Slide
    Shell Armor, Impish
    252 HP, 252 Def, 6 Atk

As for Bastiodon, a lot of SR or Spikes leads are gonna Taunt first thing, and Bastiodon's SLOW. I also don't see the point of having both Kingler AND Bastiodon being physical walls. I'd have a Ground type or something with Volt Absorb to help out Kingler and Xatu. Lanturn, mebe?

Jynx... Scizor gets Bullet Punch AND Pursuit AND resists Ice... Luke gets Bullet Punch... Hariyama gets Bullet Punch... Uhhh, Steel types in general instawall you... I think this calls for HP Fire. Maybe over Calm Mind? I've never really seen a Jynx that NEEDED Calm Mind.

I really don't have issues with anyone else, except maybe Xatu... I don't think Tail Wind is worth the time it takes to put it up, considering you're basically sacrificing a Pokemon that could potentially be a sweeper to set up double speed for, like, the next THREE turns. People complain about how short Trick Room lasts, and that's FIVE turns, so yeah.
    Prostiboots
    Prostiboots
    Admin
    Admin

Male

Post by Prostiboots Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:25 pm

Actually, that's the most popular and effective Jynx set, in general, Shine.
    Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male

Post by Shine Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:18 pm

Sagechild wrote:Actually, that's the most popular and effective Jynx set, in general, Shine.
    I know. Most any Jynx I see does it, and it fails every time.
    Prostiboots
    Prostiboots
    Admin
    Admin

Male

Post by Prostiboots Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:55 pm

Shine wrote:
    Sagechild wrote:Actually, that's the most popular and effective Jynx set, in general, Shine.
    XD

Then the people don't know how to play Jynx too well.
    Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male

Post by Shine Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:30 pm

Sagechild wrote:
    Shine wrote:
    XD

Or the set just kinda sucks. Maybe.
    Prostiboots
    Prostiboots
    Admin
    Admin

Male

Post by Prostiboots Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:07 pm

Shine wrote:
    Sagechild wrote:
    Shine wrote:
    XD

Or the set just kinda sucks. Maybe.
    It wouldn't be a two generation STANDARD if it sucked.
    Zeph
    Zeph

Male

Post by Zeph Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:31 pm

Basically allows you to perform a sweep behind a sub if you're setting up on a slower Poke.
    KOkingpin
    KOkingpin

Male

Post by KOkingpin Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:51 am

honestly we should take the focus back to Kingler. Cause he is obviously the King. Look how big his claw is.

Max Attack and Speed and give him a scarf he out speeds a scarfed Garchomp set. his Def is already beefy but his HP wont allow him to survive anything that is SE on either attacking side pretty much unless the pokemon is a wienie. hes a trickster.

xscissor
    rock slide
    crabhammer
    brick break (i think he can learn that)
    Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male

Post by Shine Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:10 am

Kokingpin wrote:honestly we should take the focus back to Kingler. Cause he is obviously the King. Look how big his claw is.

Max Attack and Speed and give him a scarf he out speeds a scarfed Garchomp set. his Def is already beefy but his HP wont allow him to survive anything that is SE on either attacking side pretty much unless the pokemon is a wienie. hes a trickster.

xscissor
    rock slide
    crabhammer
    brick break (i think he can learn that)
    Shade wants it to be a wall.
    Sasami
    Sasami
    Master Sensei/Admin
    Master Sensei/Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 3133
    Yen : 121200
    User's Pokemon : Unexpected Heroes Dpmfa368
    Registration date : 2008-05-08

Post by Sasami Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:28 am

Kokingpin wrote:Max Attack and Speed and give him a scarf he out speeds a scarfed Garchomp set.

Garchomp isn't legal anymore XD.
    KOkingpin
    KOkingpin

Male

Post by KOkingpin Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:02 pm

dude he has a huge claw he cant wall. Walls need HP to be able to wall things.

his claw is this >> |----------------------------| big compared to his other one |---|.

edit - i know sami i was just referring to him cause that was the first scarf set that came to mind.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:49 am