Shuten Dojo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shuten Dojo

Pokemon D/P/Pt Wifi Dojo.

+4
Zeph
Nazil
Shine
Sasami
8 posters

Pokemon Platinum Moves

Sasami
    Sasami
    Master Sensei/Admin
    Master Sensei/Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 3133
    Yen : 121200
    User's Pokemon : Pokemon Platinum Moves Dpmfa368
    Registration date : 2008-05-08

Pokemon Platinum Moves Empty Pokemon Platinum Moves

Post by Sasami Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:37 am

For those of us who play on Shoddy Battle, by now we've gotten a good taste of Pokemon Platinum and the new strategies it brings to the metagame. This thread is meant to discuss these strategies as well as changes in the metagame.

So what have you guys noticed?

In the beginning, it seemed like every team had Skymin XD. Now that the excitement has died down a bit, I don't see them as much (although it's still REALLY popular). IMO, Skymin seemed much scarier on paper--I just don't find it all that hard to deal with in actual play. I actually used one myself for a bit and while it's a top-tier Pokemon, it's no Garchomp. Skymin lacks the sweeping potential that Chomp had. It normally takes down a Pokemon or damages a team before going down but it rarely defeats more than one Pokemon in my experience. There were also tons of matches where Skymin didn't even do anything and ended up being a complete dead-weight. Blissey still walls it most of the time (Choice Specs Skymin is extremely rare but even that set needs some hax to win) and Registeel is a perfect counter. It's an easy Pokemon to revenge kill and normally dies to an Ice Shard (it COULD run a Yache Berry but then it loses out on the extra power needed to OHKO/2HKO a lot of Pokemon). The Stealth Rock weakness doesn't help it either (Garchomp, in comparison, was resistant to Stealth Rock AND Sandstorm). I find Skymin to be an excellent revenge killer and mid-game Pokemon but it rarely lasts until the end of the game. However, it's also worthwhile to note that it's true potential probably hasn't been found yet. As the metagame evolves, I'm sure that Skymin could become a force to be reckoned with. In case anyone's interested, the "standard" Skymin sets right now are an offensive Life Orb set with Substitute/Seed Flare/Air Slash and either HP Ice or Earth Power and a Sub-Seed set with Substitute/Leech Seed/Seed Flare/Air Slash with Leftovers. Most Skymin run max speed and HP Fire is rare because they then lose a point of speed and are out-sped by other Skymin.

I actually find Bullet Punch Scizor to be more threatening than Skymin. I've personally been swept by it at least a few times and I use one myself to great success. It has plenty of counters but most people carry something on the team to destroy those counters (Salamence and/or Heatran are often on the same team with it). It's certainly not Uber but it can be a tricky Pokemon to deal with and only takes a turn of set up to start sweeping in end-game. I'd also rank it up with Deoxys as being one of the best revenge killers. It can turn a game completely around in a turn.

DD Outrage Salamence isn't too bad and was definitely over-hyped, as I predicted. It's a great Pokemon, just nothing impossible to stop.

I haven't seen many of the new Rotom forms in play which is a shame because they're pretty damn good. I use the Washing Machine Rotom on one of my main teams and it's amazing. It walls Scizor, Heatran, Zapdos, and even Skymin to a lesser extent. Considering that all of those Pokemon are increasingly common, it's proven to be an asset to my team. The Oven one is probably THE Scizor counter because of Overheat :p (I'd use it myself but it wouldn't fit well on my team).

Right now the golden rule seems to be "when in doubt, assume it has Trick" >_>. I'm seeing a bunch of Trick leads and most Gengar/Metagross/Azelf have it. It's an annoying move but I think it'll drop in usage over time. A lot of Pokemon now get Superpower and Sucker Punch, too, so that's something to watch out for.

Gengar isn't too common these days as the only notable move he gained was Trick. All Gengars now tend to be ScarfGars with something like Trick/HP Ice/Shadow Ball/T-Bolt...or Explosion thrown in there. Hypnosis being nerfed and the increase in Sucker Punchers isn't helping his case. He's still a great Pokemon but he's having trouble fitting in the average team at the moment.
    Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male
    Number of posts : 1642
    Yen : 19310
    User's Pokemon : Pokemon Platinum Moves Dpmfa232
    Registration date : 2008-05-09

Pokemon Platinum Moves Empty Re: Pokemon Platinum Moves

Post by Shine Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:44 am

Believe it or not, I haven't seen anything different from the usual. I think I've seen, like, ONE Scizor with Bullet Punch besides my own so far, and it wasn't ALL that difficult to deal with...

I've only really battled, like, two Skymin so far, and so far, they've all had the tendency to switch into attacks that end up OHKO'ing them. Very odd.

I haven't seen ANY of the new Rotom forms. Not many people are taking advantage of all the new Sucker Punch users... And I'm still the only one with a TrickBand Shedinja, as far as I know.

I mentioned to Zack the other day that ALL of Pidgeot's new moves in Platinum happen to be special... And at his recommendation, I've found that Pidgeot is actually working surprisingly well with Specs... Of course, that's in UU. But still... Pleasant surprise.

Other than that, I haven't seen ANYTHING different.

Oh, and Flinchax Miltank wins. (T-Wave + Iron Head = FUCK YEAH)
    Nazil
    Nazil

Male
    Number of posts : 121
    Registration date : 2008-09-20

Post by Nazil Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:40 am

imo dragonite will b scarfed in platinum. think about adamant max speed and 254 sped or somewhere colse. then have superpower eq outrage and ice punch or something else and it does crazy damage.

also i think azelf once again will b a great threat unless u have sucker punch. i know i have been saying azelf in a lot of posts but if u see his moves theres crazy. wide move pool great stats.

also garchomp hasn't gain anythiing good but if it did then it should of been ubers i still think flameorb milotic can counter it. my friend and i did an experiment and milotic and it works great with draon pulse since some carry yache berry. u guys should try it.

anyway like i said do experments on shoddy with azelf plz oh and can u tell me the best set for it. my set is in my battle tower post which no one replied<_<
    Zeph
    Zeph

Male
    Number of posts : 897
    Yen : 8,600
    User's Pokemon : Pokemon Platinum Moves Dpmfa407

Post by Zeph Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:02 am

I've seen over a billion Skymin, and let me tell ya. It's going to be uber, it can take down half a team if Scarftran isn't on it. And any other Heatran get's OHKO'd by Earth Power. Seed Flare almost always lowers the Sp.D of a Pokemon, which is equal to a Nasty Plot. Air Slash almost always Crits. [[READ: Using Air Slash on Snorlax is ALWAYS a critical from Skymin. It's a glitch]]

It's a devastating force, and should be uber.
    Zenith
    Zenith
    Strategy Sensei/Chatbox Moderator
    Strategy Sensei/Chatbox Moderator

Male
    Number of posts : 2252
    Yen : 89500
    User's Pokemon : Pokemon Platinum Moves Dpmfa282

Post by Zenith Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:11 am

Use Regice or Registeel. Problem solved.

I haven't been playing on Shoddy, but I tend to look over Sami's shoulder and I don't see too many issues with the metagame; I just see a small shift.

My post is so small...
    Prostiboots
    Prostiboots
    Admin
    Admin

Male
    Number of posts : 3306
    Yen : 1000000
    User's Pokemon : Pokemon Platinum Moves Dpmfa280

Post by Prostiboots Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:08 am

... Ya know, you CAN scarf random things that can OHKO Skymin, or at least 2HKO, and not get OHKO'd back.

I'm pretty sure Togekiss could do it, and has Air Slash hax on its side.

=D
    Tobi
    Tobi
    Ubers Sensei
    Ubers Sensei

Male
    Number of posts : 4518
    Yen : 37300
    User's Pokemon : Pokemon Platinum Moves Dpmfsa315

Post by Tobi Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:36 pm

Told you the new moves wouldn't break the game.

I....I....was right?
    Nazil
    Nazil

Male

Post by Nazil Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:32 pm

u guys don't find azelf to b a danger?
    Prostiboots
    Prostiboots
    Admin
    Admin

Male

Post by Prostiboots Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:42 pm

No, it's fragile, and like everything got Sucker Punch, while Azelf has no notable priority.

It CAN be a beast, but it won't be too bad.
    Sasami
    Sasami
    Master Sensei/Admin
    Master Sensei/Admin

Female

Post by Sasami Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:10 am

Sagechild wrote:... Ya know, you CAN scarf random things that can OHKO Skymin, or at least 2HKO, and not get OHKO'd back.

=D

I actually saw someone use a scarfed Togekiss on the first day that Platinum moves were on the Smogon server. Took me by surprised and OHKO'd my Skymin with Air Slash XD.
    Ninja
    Ninja
    UU Sensei/Moderator
    UU Sensei/Moderator

Male
    Number of posts : 3030
    Yen : 41800
    User's Pokemon : Pokemon Platinum Moves Dpmfa321

Post by Ninja Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:09 pm

I haven't been on Shoddy too much lately, been too busy.

The times I was able to get on though, I did notice that a lot of lead psychic types go with Trick now.

I also battled a couple of Skymin, and they weren't anything too hard to take out.

The move Counter works wonders.

Bullet Punch Scizor is actually a pretty annoying thing to deal with, but most of the people that I've battled have failed to use it properly, resulting in an easy KO for me. They did take out a chunk of my HP first, though.

Octillery gets Seed Bomb =D

Now I don't have to go with a Sinper-hax set and hope for a crit!
    Prostiboots
    Prostiboots
    Admin
    Admin

Male

Post by Prostiboots Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:29 am

Sasami wrote:
    Sagechild wrote:... Ya know, you CAN scarf random things that can OHKO Skymin, or at least 2HKO, and not get OHKO'd back.

=D

I actually saw someone use a scarfed Togekiss on the first day that Platinum moves were on the Smogon server. Took me by surprised and OHKO'd my Skymin with Air Slash XD.
    Well, I figured it'd work.

XD
    Nazil
    Nazil

Male

Post by Nazil Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:00 pm

Ninja wrote:I haven't been on Shoddy too much lately, been too busy.

The times I was able to get on though, I did notice that a lot of lead psychic types go with Trick now.

I also battled a couple of Skymin, and they weren't anything too hard to take out.

Bullet Punch Scizor is actually a pretty annoying thing to deal with, but most of the people that I've battled have failed to use it properly, resulting in an easy KO for me. They did take out a chunk of my HP first, though.

ninja what do u mean u don't need sniper hax? seed bomb is normal damage thats all. does ad critical chance.
    Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male

Post by Shine Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:18 pm

Nazil wrote:

ninja what do u mean u don't need sniper hax? seed bomb is normal damage thats all. does ad critical chance.
    I think he means that against other water types, he doesn't have to hope for a crit with Charge Beam or something, because Seed Bomb is strong enough that it'd probably OHKO.
    Ninja
    Ninja
    UU Sensei/Moderator
    UU Sensei/Moderator

Male

Post by Ninja Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:01 pm

Shine wrote:
    Nazil wrote:

I think he means that against other water types, he doesn't have to hope for a crit with Charge Beam or something, because Seed Bomb is strong enough that it'd probably OHKO.

Actually, what I meant was that Octillery's DP physical movepool was limited to Gunk Shot and Waterfall so I had to go with a Sniper-Scope Lens-Focus Energy set (which rarely worked). But now that his physical movepool includes Seed Bomb, I can scrap Scope Lens for Life Orb and put on Seed Bomb.
    Prostiboots
    Prostiboots
    Admin
    Admin

Male

Post by Prostiboots Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:43 pm

Ninja wrote:
    Shine wrote:
    Nazil wrote:

Actually, what I meant was that Octillery's DP physical movepool was limited to Gunk Shot and Waterfall so I had to go with a Sniper-Scope Lens-Focus Energy set (which rarely worked). But now that his physical movepool includes Seed Bomb, I can scrap Scope Lens for Life Orb and put on Seed Bomb.
    Swampert no longer walls you.

XD

You could even opt for BP SD's with Suction Cups.
    Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male

Post by Shine Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:40 am

I encountered a Trick lead for the first time just today.
    Ninja
    Ninja
    UU Sensei/Moderator
    UU Sensei/Moderator

Male

Post by Ninja Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:51 pm

I've never encountered a Trick Lead yet xD
    Sasami
    Sasami
    Master Sensei/Admin
    Master Sensei/Admin

Female

Post by Sasami Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:09 am

I've seen a bunch of Trick leads and they're annoying XD. All were Metagross, Azelfs, or Gengars and they all had a Choice Scarf.
    Prostiboots
    Prostiboots
    Admin
    Admin

Male

Post by Prostiboots Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:55 am

D=

That /sounds/ annoying.

Maybe someone should try Muk with sticky Hold for the lulz.
    Shine
    Shine
    Contributor
    Contributor

Male

Post by Shine Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:19 pm

Sagechild wrote:D=

That /sounds/ annoying.

Maybe someone should try Muk with sticky Hold for the lulz.
    I do. Very Happy

Perfect counter. Sticky Hold for Trick, Curse for buff, and then I've got Shadow Sneak for Azelf and Gengar, and Fire Punch for Metagross.
    Prostiboots
    Prostiboots
    Admin
    Admin

Male

Post by Prostiboots Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:29 pm

lol, you get a free curse boost!